The bridge is located North Of St Annes - on Sea on Highbury Road, Lancashire. It crosses the South Fylde Line to Blackpool South Station from Kirkham & Wesham Station joining the electrified line to and from Blackpool North going West and Preston going East. (WCML)
Work to replace Highbury Road bridge, as part of the Great North Rail Project, began in January 2019 when the main reconstruction started - meaning the railway between Kirkham & Wesham and Blackpool South was closed for two weekends in March.
History: In 1861 the Preston and Wyre Railway recognised a line would much benefit the travelers to visit many watering holes along the South Fylde.
However due to the company being deeply involved with many other rail projects and affairs they were very unenthusiastic in taking on such a venture at the moment.
So with the Preston and Wyre Railway Co being too involved with making good of the potential of the line from the fishing industry out of Fleetwood some gentlemen at Lytham formed an independent company.
With the backing of Lord of the soil, Colonel Clifton, to whose estate it will be of great advantage, and his enterprising agent, James Fair, Esq, an act of parliament was obtained early in the session of 1861.
In September of that year the " first sod" was cut by the young squire, the heir of the Lytham estates.
Officially opened on the 4th April 1863 known as the Blackpool and Lytham Railway this 4 mile short line station terminus at the Blackpool end was located where the old Central Station was, but then known as Hound-Hill Station.
In 1903 an ‘Excursion Loop’ was installed between Kirkham and Lytham thus creating the need for Halts to serve smaller communities. Burlington Crossing Halt where Blackpool Pleasure Beach is now in the Blackpool South area and Gilletts Crossing Halt where Highbury Rd Bridge is today, this being opened on 1st October 1913.
Now due to the ever increasing demand on this railway line and the addition of the motor car a new bridge of a span of 26ft and 6 inches was started around 1931 (Date to be confirmed).
The railway now under the ownership of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway had the bridge under the engineering watch of Mr. S.G Thompson who managed the construction of the total 45ft long bridge with a 30ft roadway.
The girders were put into place in one weekend by J.M Firth & Sons of Todmordon. The halt was closed in 1949.
The bridge had stood place for many years but now in 2019 Story Contracting with Network Rail under the wing of the Great Northern Rail Project are replacing the Bridge to stand for many years to come.
Sat morning Story Contracting organised the movement of the castings to be installed directly off the rail crane or moved to a location trackside in anticipation that the weather will slow the installations.
The blockade of the line will fell between 0:00hrs Sat morning and run into Sunday. No trains until Monday’s 05:14 service to Preston. Similar will happened on the following weekend 16-17th March.